826Chi inspira a los estudiantes de La Paz para crear historias de ficción de su propia
“Yo no creo que cuando reservé mi billete por 9 semanas en Costa Rica que mi experiencia en La Paz sería tan gratificante ”
-La Paz Voluntarios y participante Homestay
En La Paz Community School estamos constantemente buscando oportunidades para enriquecer el plan de estudios. Aunque se espera que los padres de contribuir a la escuela como parte de nuestro programa de cooperación, muchas personas de todo el mundo han llegado a ser parte de la experiencia de La Paz a través de nuestravoluntario y programa de alojamiento strong>. Ambos locales y voluntarios extranjeros han trabajado durante horas, días, semanas y meses para diversificar la experiencia de La Paz curricular no sólo para los estudiantes, sino también para los maestros. Algunos ejemplos recientes de trabajo voluntario durante el año pasado incluyen:
- Gap Year volunteer Catherine spent 4 months as a prek-third grade volunteer before entering her first year at Davidson College
- Future Northeastern undergrad student Anastasia spent 3 months of her gap year as a preschool assistant while participating in a home-stay with a local La Paz family.
- A Chicago Public School teacher volunteered for 3 weeks and stayed with a local La Paz family while honing her spanish skills, learning more about dual language education and place based education.
- Swiss graduate student Janick Plancer spent 3 months working as an assistant to the kindergarten and first grade classes.
- Famed Chicago Graffiti Artist and Teacher at the University of Hip Hop Lavie Raven visited La Paz for one week during the theme of gratitude to teach students about the hip hop culture and the positive affects of graffiti art.
- 3 members of 826 CHI (link), a non-profit writing/tutoring center visited La Paz for one week to inspire La Paz students in the area of creative writing. Each group of students ultimately published a piece of creative fiction for the school community to enjoy.
- Former XM radio producer and engineer, Matt Aurisy, lent his technical and creative support as he developed the La Paz technology program over a period of 4 months as a full-time volunteer.
- Local Real Estate Agent Terry Wright has assisted with the cultivation of the La Paz climbing club for several hours per week.
We are forever indebted to our short term and long term volunteers who have selflessly and tirelessly dedicated their time and energy into creating a diverse, creative, and healthy learning environment for the children of the coastal region of Guanacaste.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at La Paz and/or would like to participate in our homestay program please send a letter of interest and resume to the La Paz Volunteer Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.